What's Your Sign?

Truly, I believed the asking of this question was so passer, I didn't believe it was worth discussing. How can a Christian even use the zodiac as a means of conversation; and if it is used how could the other party still enjoy the date? Really?!! You wanna know my sign?!!!

I recall the zodiac being such the rage back in the day. I considered it fun as well - course this was before I found Jesus as my Lord and Savior. People were getting such a kick out of it. I recall statements such as,
I know people like that. They seem to all be like (this sign or another).
Oooh, I had a dream and it means according to my sign...
I have to keep playing this number because the newspaper said it would be lucky for me.
Oh I couldn't go anywhere with him, I know my sign isn't compatible with (some other zodiac sign).
That's how those (place sign here) act. They are always arguing about something.
Such and such sign are so creative.

And so forth and so on. Even at my young age, it all started to sound silly. I was reading the paper looking at the classifieds or something and happened upon the horoscope section. I stopped for a moment to see what mine was. I learned of what my sign was as a child when my parents were studying the same fad. When my parents studied - they studied! I am talking books and books on the matter. I recall books on astronomy and the zodiac. I tried to read what the fascination was, but it was as interesting as an anatomy book on the procedure of cardiac surgery. Aaaarrrggh! As I looked through the other signs and the months those signs fell on, I came upon mine and began to read what my day was supposed to be like. It was vague at best and had absolutely nothing to look forward to. I then sought what it said for the next day and the next. Not because I became obsessed, but to see if there was any validity as to why someone would continually do this to map what their day would consist of. After a few days, I thought I would lose interest, however, just that fast I sensed almost a compulsion to get the paper just to see for the fun of it. I actually had to resist not to see what would be there. Why? What would the temptation be? There was nothing there in those days I looked, why now did I have to see if something would be different? And there it was. I understood how something so simple as a fad that comes in and out of style like anything else had become a habit to some people - a lack of resistance to error (2 Peter 2:18-19 KJV). Error then matured into something else  - hence all of the books my parents bought.

I believed it was necessary to write about this matter for the body of Christ to recognize this as being a spot or wrinkle. It is a matter that needs much prayer. I recently spoke to a believer, and in our conversation she casually mentioned a zodiac sign. I stopped and stared at her but said nothing as she continued to speak. We had developed such a friendship that she knew the expressions on my face and my silence meant more then the words I spoke. She then paused and said, "what?" While I used as little expression as I could not believing that she could be so casual about a matter and also be such a lover of Christ, her reaction was just as astonishing to me, "it is all for fun." It was not just this simple statement but the pitch in her voice of which I have heard in other believers. The pitch has the distinct implication of, there she goes taking it too far again. What's the matter with this Lenora, ho-hum (an audible sigh)!

I have learned to not say anything and allow God to be God. Would He take matters too far when He states a case using His Word? Believing that the prayers of the righteous avails much, I stay on task.

What does this have to do with dating? Well, as casual as a conversation that I had with my friend, I didn't find this out about her until well into two years of the friendship - two years! Most people date for about a year and before that year is complete, their minds are made up to marry. Many things are found out after the wedding. What is your resolve? It is why I am writing so that you might not do a Sarai thing and try to reason with what the Word might mean then what it actually is. There is no need to create wrinkles when generations passed went through what they did for us to live a easier simpler life. Just be quick to listen!

When does looking for a sign from God become wicked (Matthew 12:39 KJV)? When there is an understanding that we walk by faith and not by sight. So why would any of us use the system of the zodiac to determine the path we should take in this matter or that (Proverbs 3:6 KJV)? Why would it even be used for fun? How is it appropriate in conversation? When would a believer state the zodiac sign of his birthday and would the birthday be his natural birth or when he was born again into righteousness? Would this be pleasing to God or is it disrespectful in the conversation that is called fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warts And All

Where Beauty Fades, Real Attraction Begins

Elderly and Foolish