Honor

My son got married a few weeks ago and it was bitter sweet. I was a little upset because I thought he didn't take heed to any of my warnings especially when he showed me things that proved the warnings were correct. I kept praying not so much for him to find someone else but for him to gain the Wisdom he needed. I was vigilante about it. He came to visit with me. We had a nice conversation about relationships and I saw that he was frustrated because he wished to honor me by being obedient but he also wished to marry of his choosing. He began listing all of the things I had taught him for years and all  that he obtained from what I taught him. I couldn't dispute any of it. I had to keep the peace and give him my blessing. He did good (as my father would say).

I also recall him telling me that his bride has this gift that what ever contest she enters or whatsoever her heart's desire she gets. He thought it was amazing that she had this gift because it has not failed yet. He called it luck but I knew better and so I began to watch to understand what he was referring to. The only thing I found different in her demeanor is that she is very attentive to her parent and godparents. She watches the expression on their faces and meets whatever the need they have if she can. It was one of those qualities I heard my son mention as well.

Is this what God meant by honoring your mother and father that thy days may be long (Exodus 20:12 KJV)? And does those long days mean long life or something else? I see children practically raising themselves these days and have children to raise not knowing what to do. What will be the length of their days and the generation they are fumbling to raise (Proverbs 22:6 KJV)? I know that with my parents I was obedient to them no matter what. Even if it was something I would have not liked to do, because they said to do it, I did it. My thought processes are they have been here longer then I have. They would know more then I do. Granted, as an adult, I ask questions to seek why they wish for this or that because I also have a better understanding and it is what my heavenly Father wishes for me to do with Him as well.

If we look at this as a farmer sowing seed, to do as the Word tells us to do, it is good seed into good ground (Mark 4:26-32 KJV). With that being done, the end product has to be good as well. Have you ever seen a seed sown into fallow ground? The seed does not grow because the ground is too hard to nourish the seed (Mark 4:3-8 KJV). This would also be true for someone who is stubborn or determined to do what he/she wants with or without reason. What would the end product be out of that relationship? How about good ground but the seed is diseased or broken? Would that be the same as being unequally yoked? That's like someone trying to fix the other by marriage or making a baby to fix the relationship.

To give honor where honor is due I hear spoken in ministry many times. However, is this a once a year sort of thing or is it something throughout the person's lifetime. I hear it once or twice a year during birthdays and pastor's anniversaries in church. What happens with this honor on a daily basis? Would daily tasks of this fare well with your length of days? Would God be pleased with your faith being at work with this task (Hebrews 11:6 KJV)? Does it have any significance in the relationship you desire to have or is it considered as the treasure you are building in heaven? Selah.

My son and new daughter-in-law (his bride) have a long and good life ahead of them. I used the word bittersweet earlier because he is my son and I didn't think time would forge ahead as fast as it did. It is also sweet to see the end product of good seed and good ground. He has honored his father, me and God. I thank You, Father for teaching me that my days and my children's days are long (Proverbs 13:22 KJV).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warts And All

Where Beauty Fades, Real Attraction Begins

Elderly and Foolish