Last Week I Went To The Store...

Last week I went to the store to purchase some lotion (among a few other things). I went to the aisle where I knew it would be and saw it. Just before picking it up, right next to my usual brand, there was the store version with a sale price underneath it. It was $2.00 cheaper and was buy one get one free. How bad could the store brand be? I chose it but in picking it up, I saw there was the only one on the shelf. Still, putting it into my cart, it was $2.00 cheaper.

Finishing the rest of my shopping, I went to the cashier. When he got to my lotion, I told him of the dilemma to quickly fix the problem. He ran the price checker over the bottle and said,"You're right." Did he do what I thought he was going to do? Call the stock person in the back to supply the demand and bring a bottle to the front? No, instead of reaching for the phone, he picked up a laminated paper, with some writing on it and said to me, " What I can do is reduce the price even further." He picked at some keys on the register and said, "how about $2.99?"

Gasping on the inside because I love a good deal, I was not reluctant to agree. My lotion was $7.99. The store version was $5.99 with getting another bottle for free. Instead of getting another bottle, I got the store version for an additional $3.00 cheaper? Oh yeah, today is really shaping up! The cashier bagged my items and wished me well. The next day, when it was time for me to do my routine, I went to my table to moisturize. That great deal of a lotion was sitting at my table. Picking it up, I had to go through that finger swirl thing to get the pump to open. Around and around...nothing. Again and again....still nothing. Using my fingernails to almost break the pump....nothing. Looking at the bottle, I refused to say the cliche which would ruin the great deal I got for the product. I tried one more time with the swirl...it popped up.

Once I pumped the product in my hand I noticed the difference immediately. My lotion was thick. When I rubbed it on my skin, it would take a few minutes for me to dress so it would absorb. Its like putting on make up or deodorant. Throughout the day, my skin felt silky. The scent was mild and went well with my cologne. This store version was watery like thick milk. Rubbing on my skin, it didn't need time to absorb. The smell...what was that? Throughout the day, I was aware of the difference. Still, not wanting to admit that the deal wasn't a deal, I continued to use the lotion.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I stopped off at the same store from last week. As much as I don't want to admit it, I needed my own lotion back. I went to the aisle where they usually display it and there it was. Not only my usual lotion, but the store brand right next to it just like last week....only 1 bottle left though. What the freak?!!!

Why do we instinctively go for the cheaper version of anything when we know what we like? Is the better deal really a better deal? If she is low maintenance, will she also have the anointing to be your wife? Because he has the better bank account, will he have the time to spend with you for you to be happy? The cheaper version won't always have what you need. As trivial as it may sound, it still is poignant. When God said in ALL of your ways acknowledge Him...He meant it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warts And All

Where Beauty Fades, Real Attraction Begins

Elderly and Foolish